Sunday, May 29, 2011

Please, Sit At My Table



I like to imagine who I'd invite to a dinner party if I could gather anybody I wanted from history to attend. It would need to be an intimate soiree so I couldn't have more than, say, twelve folks.

It's kind of like that game, what would you grab from your burning house? ...only different.

I'm looking for good company. Folks with a sense of humor and a fascinating perspective-- the type of people you wish you were somehow related to in your life.

Who would you invite?

Albert Einstein comes to mind for me. I just love him.
I mean listen to the guy...


How do I work? I grope.

All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science.

He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious - the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.

Creativity is intelligence having fun.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.


I envision the night going something like this...

"Thanks for bringing the wine, Albert-- it's delicious!
"

"Wait, what did you say about your first kiss?!"

"That's ridiculous, but I see what you're saying. Do you mind passing me the asparagus?
"

No comments:

Post a Comment