Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mortality


Today...

The NOLS community is celebrating the birthday of a friend and mentor who passed away in the mountains. Pete Absolon left a rich legacy in these parts.


Today...

Anabel Bechtel was born. I think of all the mothers and babies who don't survive that epic process and am grateful that Ellen and her child are doing well.


Today...

I found out that a person who has been an inspiration in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I have this unusually clear memory of Bean Bowers leaning over a map with me on a mountain pass in the Winds, teaching me how to interpret what I was saw. From shared roots at Prescott College and NOLS, Bean went on to distinguish himself on extraordinary mountains throughout the world. He's fighting to weather this latest storm.


Today...

I am reminded to appreciate both the hearty and the fragile nature of a life well-lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment